I’m sharing this yummy soup recipe that I demonstrated for my Maximum Weight Loss class tonight. It’s versatile because other grains, beans, and vegetables can be substituted or added for or to the white beans.
I got the idea for this recipe from a cookbook called Vegan Italiano by Donna Klein. I have made some revisions to it to fit my class guidelines for weight loss; no fat, added homemade chicken seasoning, Italian seasoning, canned beans, and frozen stir-fry vegetables.
The class loved it for the taste and how easy it is to make. It’s already hard enough following strict guidelines to cut out fat, have no processed foods, and try an all plant-based program for weight loss that it’s nice to have an easy recipe that tastes awesome.
It’s also really fast to make this up and very healthy. It only takes about 15 minutes or less.
Versatile Tuscan White Bean Soup by Janet Hailstone
- 2 cans or 3 cups cooked Northern white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 1 pound pkg your choice frozen vegetable medley – I used the sugar-snap pea mix
- 1-2 Tbsp Homemade Chicken Seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp real salt
- Bring the water to a boil with the beans, green onions, and package of frozen vegetables. Keep the lid on until you see steam.
- Add spices last and wait about 5 minutes to serve.
- Substitute 3 cups any cooked grains or beans for the white beans, or do any kind of mix of the two, add 3 cups cooked grains in addition to the white beans. Brown rice, quinoa, and millet are great grains to try. Any type of bean can be substituted.
- Choose your favorite frozen vegetables. Add an extra cup or two of seasonal or leftover vegetables from the fridge.