Some people are new to cooking and don’t know all the ins and outs of how to use measuring spoons, how many tablespoons make an ounce, and how many teaspoons make a tablespoon. Then there are a few little abbreviations that you need to know in order to read or write a recipe.
It’s helpful to know about how to use them. You can see a demonstration of how to use measuring spoons and cups in the Healing Diet Vegetarian Apple Pizza videos at this link.
Here is a YouTube video I did to explain the measuring spoons. It’s almost 3 minutes long.
Here is the basic information for measuring spoons.
- A Tablespoon has the abbreviations T or Tbsp.
- A teaspoon has the abbreviations t or tsp.
- 3 teaspoons = 1 Tablespoon
- 1/2 Tablespoon = 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 2 Tablespoons = 1 ounce or 1 oz.
- 1/4 tsp is half of 1/2 tsp
- 1/8 tsp is half of 1/4 tsp and = 1 dash
- 1/16 tsp=1 pinch
At this link, you can see a detailed chart including the milliliter amounts of dry and liquid measurements (if you want to get real scientific).