What do all of these behavior have in common – kids bouncing off the walls, kids on Ritalin, and kids sitting in class with a look of stupor on their face? Well, they all have a condition called ADD or ADHD. And, it’s not too fun for teachers or parents to have to deal with. Children who have these conditions have troubles in a traditional learning environment. But, it can be reversed.
This is a topic that hasn’t been studied enough by the medical profession or food scientists. And, parents would love to help their children in a different way instead of giving them potentially harmful drugs. Usually when you turn to a medical source like Nutrition MD, they will only give you the typical advice of avoiding artificial ingredients and supplementing with omega-3′s. This may work a bit for some children. But, most parents are lacking in information for more things that they can do for their hyper children.
One scientist named Feingold recommended that people avoid everything that comes in a box. Parents are encouraged to only give their children homemade foods. Much improvement has been found this way. However, the best treatment overall is to just switch children over to a wholesome, plant-based, vegan diet.
I attended some nutritional classes in 2003 from Tom Rodgers, who travelled around offering free lectures on the vegan diet and how it helps to eliminate disease. He shared information an experiment that was done right here in Utah. There was a homeschool convention in Northern Utah, where 100 mothers volunteered their families to be part of the study. The families were asked to do a wholesome vegan diet for one month, one that would include plenty of whole grains, beans, vegetables, and fruits.
At the end of the month, 95% of the mothers reported that their children no longer had ADD. The remaining 5% said they saw a significant improvement in their children even though they still seemed to have some symptoms of ADD.
There is an online testimonial of one adult lady who had suffered from ADHD. When she first learned about avoiding anything from a box, she tried that and noticed an improvement. Then, she found greater improvements from a vegetarian diet of no animal flesh. And, finally, she found total reversal of her suffering after she tried a vegan diet.
Certainly, for people who have mental stress from trying to make a complete switch to the vegan diet, improvements can still be achieved. By transitioning over time from the packaged foods, animal flesh, eggs, and dairy to more wholesome grains, vegetables, beans, and fresh fruits, symptoms disappear.
Dr. McDougall is a medical doctor, who specializes in nutrition. Here are three short videos regarding how The McDougall Plant-Based Diet helps with Autism (and Depression, ADD, ADHD as well). The focus on these videos is towards Autism. But, the information still applies towards ADD/ADHD also. You will have to take from these ideas of eliminating dairy and gluten and experiment for yourself to see what works for you and your family.
If you have children with ADD or ADHD, switching to a 100% plant-based diet will bring about significant reversal of your child’s negative behavioral patterns. He/she will be able to concentrate for longer periods in school and participate normally. Feelings will be more peaceful for everyone involved.