Fasting is not something you would normally want to do. Who wants to go hungry? You don’t want to become anorexic. And why would you even consider fasting? Well, there are actually some benefits to fasting every once in a while. Studies show that occasional fasting is in reality very good for your health.
It’s not easy at first to go without food or drink for 24 hours, but the benefits are worth the short-term sacrifice that you make for your spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical health.
Here are some reasons to inspire you to fast:
- Some people fast as soon as they get any symptom of a sickness – that works for me. If I get any flu or cold symptom, I immediately start a 24-hour fast (no food or drink) and whatever I had is gone within the first 12 hours. And I haven’t had a cold or flu for years.
- It’s a cleansing time, no food means everything in your body that is not you gets consumed first – virus, bacteria, cancer, cholesterol, saturated fats, blockages, tumors,…
- Since you are not drinking any water, all moisture in your body is conserved for vital organs and your body. Anything that is not you will dehydrate and most likely die.
- Jesus said that certain evil spirits don’t leave except by prayer and fasting. He cast out evil spirits and healed people. Brigham Young said that every pain, disease, and discomfort of the body comes from an evil spirit. Alma says “that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in that eternal world.” And, D&C 89:18-21 says that the destroying angel will pass us by as the children of Israel if we keep it’s sayings (do’s and don’ts) walking in obedience to the commandments. I believe that is another way to avoid the destroying effects of disease and that disease is a destroying angel.
- Fasting is a way to get answers to prayers. You make a sacrifice before the Lord in order to insure receiving an answer, kind of like kneeling at an altar with a sacrifice – like in the bible days.
- Fasting makes your body feel weak at first and your spirit strong. It’s a good time to pray, meditate, and read the scriptures. It seems weakening but it strengthens you spiritually and physically. Some churches, like the one I go to, fast once a month.
- Some people fast once a week or don’t eat after 2:00 everyday, because it contributes to age reversal, being more beautiful and energetic.
- The poor benefit from your fast offering – the money you saved by not eating x2 x3 x4 x5 x6 x7… You benefit by the awesome blessings of the LORD’S PROSPERITY. Isaiah 58:13, 14. Malachi 3:8 (3:9, 10).
If you decide to give this a try, you will need to take it easy during the time that you fast. It doesn’t have to be difficult if you have an inspiring book to read to focus your attention on instead of the food and drink that you are really missing. You can attend church and partake of the spiritual supper of the Lord in the sacrament. You can also take a nap to pass the time, or get on the computer and search for encouraging topics during your fast.
You can dress up and look your best, so people aren’t feeling sorry for you. Believe me, I’ve done it before, and I know that you will survive. At first, you may feel a headache or be nervous , but just tough it out. After awhile, it will disappear and you won’t care about food and drink. Then, you will reach a certain plateau where it’s a lot easier to just keep at it. It takes a little will-power at first, but you can do it.
After your fast, don’t just go and pig out on a big meal. Gently ease yourself back into nourishing yourself. Try a piece of fresh fruit, then later a piece of bread with some salad or soup, then later something else. You have just cleansed your body and it’s not too smart to go junking it up again so fast. Plus, it will be healthier to just take one step at a time.
Well, you won’t know about fasting and the benefits if you don’t try it. So, give it a try and let me know how it went for you. I’d love to hear your comments and additional information. Fasting is a very effective way to change your life for the better.