Grains are an awesome addition to your daily menu. Because of their mild taste, there are many uses for them. Cooking grains are so easy and will make your life much healthier and your cooking more varied. Use healthy grains for your bones, muscles, and weight loss efforts. Try these fun ways to use grains.
- Breakfast Cereal – Each of the grains makes an ideal breakfast cereal. Just add some non-dairy milk, your choice of sweetener or chopped fresh fruit, a sprinkle of some spice (pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, apple pie spice) and you are set with a cheaper morning meal. The picture to the right has a dollop of nut butter added to the top, which can be fattening since fat has 9 calories and carbs only have 4.
- Pasta Replacement – Use grains as a pasta replacement in salads, casseroles, soups, and other dishes. You will save money and have more effective insulin control. Amaranth is the only grain that is way too small to be used in this way though.
- Chip Replacement – Popcorn is an awesome snack that everyone loves. Other grains can also be popped.
- Bread Replacement - Some grains like millet or cornmeal can be cooked, cooled, sliced, and baked or fried to make tasty little cakes or squares to put your favorite topping on. They are great for sweet or savory recipes. Add spices and flavorings to the cooked grains before cooling the mix for a tasty treat.
If you are trying to lose weight, it is more effective to eat whole grains that have been steamed than to eat breads or pastas for these reasons:
- Grains have less calories than bread. For example, 1 gram of whole wheat has 1 calorie and 1 gram of whole wheat flour has 2 1/2 calories.
- Fiber carries fat from the body. The liver is constantly trying to get rid of fat molecules, but if there is no fiber to attach to, the fat gets reabsorbed. The fiber pieces of steamed grains are bigger than the ground up fiber pieces in whole grain breads and are much more effective for weight loss.
- If you are diabetic or if you want to lose weight, you will need to have better insulin control. Steamed grains are great for helping a person gain natural insulin control, while the breads and pastas aggravate the condition.
- Using grains more often will help you to get important vitamins and minerals that are important for fertility, pregnancy, and growing children. They are a great source of wholesome carbohydrates and energy to exercise.